Tomb of Emperor Minh Mang - King with 500 Wives & Concubines
Minh Mang Tomb (Mausoleum): In February 1820, Emperor Gia Long passed away, the fourth prince Nguyen Phuc Dam was put on the throne, taking the title Minh Mang or Minh Menh. As a king for 7 years, Minh Mang sent people to find land to build Tomb for himself. Geography Le Van Duc has chosen a good land in the area of Cam Ke Mountain, near the Bang Lang junction, the confluence of the two rivers of Ta Trach and Huu Trach to form the poetic Huong River. But it took 14 years to consider and choose, until 1840, the new king decided to build his tomb in this place. The king changed the name of Cam Ke mountain (belonging to An Bang hamlet, Huong Tra district) to Hieu Mountain and called the tomb Hieu Tomb.
- Tomb Location: Hương Thọ, Hương Trà, Thừa Thiên Huế
- Opening Hours: Daily from 7.00AM - 5.30PM
- Entrance Fee: 150k/Adult (buy combo ticket if you visit other sites)
- Dress Code: Required (you can borrow scarfs at temple's entrances)
The king personally reviewed and approved the blueprints offered by the officials Bui Cong Huyen, Truong Dang Que and the Guardian guard. In April 1840, the construction of Hieu Lang began. The King sent officials Le Dang Danh, Nguyen Trung Mau and Ly Van Phuc to lead soldiers and boatmen to dig here to build La Thanh lake.
In August 1840, Minh Mang came to check that the work of excavating Chenghai Lake was not satisfactory, so he demoted the officers and suspended the work. A month later, the work was just continued when Minh Mang fell ill in January 1841. King Thieu Tri ascended the throne, only one month later (February 1841) sent the mandarins Ta Quang Cu, Ha Duy Phien and Nguyen Tri Phuong commanded nearly 10,000 soldiers and construction workers to continue the work in accordance with the plan left by his father.
On August 20, 1841, King Minh Mang's body was buried in Buu Thanh, but the construction of the tomb until early 1843 was completed. From a desolate mountainous region, through the hands of labor and human creativity, a majestic mausoleum has been created, both brilliant in architecture, in harmony with nature and profound by value, thought.
Discover 7 Hue Royal Tombs of the Nguyen Emperors:
- Tomb of Emperor Gia Long
- Tomb of Emperor Minh Mang
- Tomb of Emperor Thieu Tri
- Tomb of Emperor Tu Duc
- Tomb of Emperor Duc Duc
- Tomb of Emperor Dong Khanh
- Tomb of Emperor Khai Dinh
Find your trip
Vietnam Best Tours
Vietnam Travel Blog
- Ho Chi Minh City: Prepare for Tighter Situation than Directive 16
- Top 5 Delicious Dishes in An Giang Border Region of Vietnam
- Son Doong Cave in Phong Nha Vietnam: All You Need to Know
- Urgent: Hanoi Announces to Find People Visited These Places
- Best Local Food That Should Not Be Missed in Hanoi Vietnam
- The 6 Best Things to Do at Night Time in Hue City of Vietnam