Tourist Information: Imperial Citadel & Forbidden City in Hue
Hue Citadel: In 1802, after Nguyen Phuc Anh founded the Nguyen Dynasty. He became the first King with tittle Gia Long, and decided Hue to become the Capital for the whole Country. In 1804, Gia Long decided to built Imperial Citadel in the present area.
Hue Imperial Citadel took 29 years to complete and built by 2 Kings of the Nguyen Dynasty: Gia Long (1802-1820) and Minh Mang (1820-1841). Area completed in 1833 and included 3 different levels of walls named: Hue Citadel, Hue Imperial City and Forbidden Purple City.
Hue Citadel (Hue Imperial Citadel): Square Walled Area with about 2.500m each side, for Royal Family and Locals to live in the past and present. This is a big area with local people living and surrounded by the wall to protect Royal Family Member living in the middle (Imperial City & Forbidden City).
Wall surrounding Citadel area is 21m thick, 6.6m high and started in 1804 with clay, built with VAUBAN Architecture. In 1818 and 1822, Emperors Gia Long and Minh Mang order to built bricks on the outside of the wall. Perfume river used as natural moat and 2 islands (Cồn Hến and Cồn Dã Viên) in the river became 2 holy protectors for the Citadel.
The Citadel is also protected by man-made moat surrounding the wall. This helped to protect the royal family and local people living inside from the enemy. Top of the wall was placed with cannons for defensive purpose, but most of them missing in the wars. Citadel area can be accessed by 10 different gates around.
Hue Citadel is the first fortress to protect 2 more important areas inside. These are living, working and worshiping areas of the Nguyen Emperors and Royal Family Members with:
- Hue Imperial City: a place surrounded by 580m x 620m Wall, reserved for Kings and Royal Family Members with Living, Working, Worshiping Areas. Imperial City of Hue is located in the middle and protected by Hue Citadel, and to protect Forbidden City in the Middle. Read More >>>
- Hue Forbidden City: a place surrounded by 320m x 320m Wall, reserved for Kings; their Queens, Wives, Concubines and Eunuchs to live and work everyday. Forbidden City of Hue is located in the middle and protected by Hue Imperial City and Hue Citadel. Read More>>>
- Nguyen Dynasty - the last Royal Family in Vietnam with 13 Kings
- Discover Hue Royal Tombs of the Nguyen Emperors in Hue City
- Learning about Life of the Eunuchs in the Nguyen Royal Family
Find your trip
Vietnam Best Tours
Vietnam Travel Blog
- Hoa Lo Prison Museum: A Maison Centrale in Hanoi, Vietnam
- Vietnam Military History Museum: Everything You Need to Know
- Hanoi Old Quarter of Vietnam: Everything You Need to Know
- Dong Xuan Market: Best Place for Shopping in Hanoi Vietnam
- Hoan Kiem Lake and Ngoc Son Temple: Things You Should Know
- Vietnam Museum of Ethnology in Hanoi - All You Need to Know