Bánh Xèo: Recipe of Ingredients and How to Cook
Bánh Xèo (Vietnamese Pancake) has become a famous dish of Vietnamese cuisine. In particular, pancakes combining typical ingredients of Southern folk cuisine are very popular with Southern People. Instead of going to a restaurant, you can also go into the kitchen by yourself with the following way of making delicious, crispy pancakes.
Because when pouring the dough into the hot pan, the sound of “xèo… xèo” is heard, so this dish is named Banh Xeo. Just like the generous and comfortable personality of Southern People, Southern Pancakes are always very big. The crust is thinly coated, crispy, has a beautiful golden color of turmeric starch, the inside is fragrant and soft, combining the ingredients of pork, green beans, shrimp and cassava ... mixed with the greasy taste of water. coconut milk, creating an extremely attractive dish.
Southern Pancakes are enjoyed with a cup of sweet and sour chili garlic fish sauce, mildly spicy and a variety of vegetables such as collard greens, lettuce, perilla, mango buds, cashew leaves, cauliflower leaves... Grab a piece of banh xeo. Hot, spicy, sweet and sour fish sauce, all blended, crispy and melt in the mouth, creating a delicious taste that is hard to forget.
You will find some types of Banh Xeo when traveling to Mekong Delta, Hanoi (North Vietnam) or Hue, Da Nang and Hoi An in Central Vietnam. But Banh Xeo flour is the same with rice flour, the only difference is that the Central people keep the white flour, mix a little seasoning, and the Southern pancakes often give turmeric powder to create a light yellow color for the cake, add salt and green onions, cut into pieces (Ex: Bánh Khoái in Hue).
In the Central region, Banh Xeo is small in size, made in a cast iron pan, people often pour a lot of oil, then pour in flour, but in the South, they only put a little oil, use a large pan, wait until it is hot, then add the flour. , rotate the pan so that the cake is evenly spread and round. Therefore, the crust in the Central region is usually thicker, softer, not as thin and crispy as the South.
The filling part shows the true characteristics of local cuisine. Southern pancakes have a variety of meats such as pork, duck, shrimp, shrimp... The meat is minced and fried with spices first. Drop the dough into a pan coated with hot oil, the chef adds meat, shrimps, vegetables such as bean sprouts, crazy cotton, Thien li... fried until the filling is cooked, the crust is golden crispy, then double and put out on a plate.
1. Recipe of Ingredients and How to Make Vietnamese Banh Xeo:
- Ingredients of Bánh Xèo:
- 200g pancake flour
- 50ml coconut milk
- 300g black tiger shrimp
- 300g pork belly
- 300g straw mushrooms
- 2 onions
- 1 carrot
- 1 white radish
- Lettuce, collard greens, herbs, bean sprouts, green onions
- Seasoning: seasoning, monosodium glutamate, salt, fish sauce, turmeric, vinegar
- Process the Ingredients:
- Buy fresh bacon, the meat is light in color, not sticky to the touch and has good elasticity. Bacon only bought, washed, cut into thin pieces.
- When buying shrimp, you should only choose those that are alive, have a smooth shell, live between fresh and clear bodies, which are fresh, firm shrimp. Black tiger shrimp peel off the shell, cut off the hard antennae, remove the black thread on the back and wash.
- Put shrimp, bacon in a clean bowl, marinate with ½ teaspoon seasoning, 1 teaspoon pepper, mix well to infuse spices and marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Peel the onion, wash it, and slice it thinly.
- Pick the root of the spring onion, wash it, and cut it into small pieces.
- Carrots, white radish peeled, washed, grated.
- Wash herbs, bean sprouts, soak in dilute salt water for about 15-20 minutes, then take them out to dry.
- Mix the Flour to Make Pancakes:
- Dissolve the coconut milk with 400ml of water, then add the pancake flour, add 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder, a little seasoning, salt, sprinkle with scallions and stir until the powder is smooth and no longer lumpy. Let the dough rest for about 20-30 minutes for the dough to fully rise.
- Because packaged banh xeo is usually pre-seasoned, you don't need to add too much seasoning. Pay attention not to mix the dough too thick, it will make the crust thick and difficult to cook. You can add 1 cup of beer to the flour mixture to make the crust more crispy when fried. This is a way to make crispy pancakes that many people summarize and apply.
- Stir-fry meats of Pancakes:
- Put the oil pan on the stove, when the oil is hot, add the meat and sauté it over low heat. When the meat is cooked, take it out, continue to add the shrimp, stir-fry for about 5 minutes until the shrimp is fragrant.
- How to pour delicious pancakes:
- Put 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a non-stick pan, wait for the oil to boil. Pour in a patch of batter, tilting the pan to coat evenly. Add shrimp, meat, onion and some bean sprouts, cover for about 30 seconds until the dough is cooked. Fry the cake until golden crispy, fold the cake in half and fry the rest until crispy on both sides. Repeat until you run out of dough.
- If you can't eat the raw bean sprouts, put the bean sprouts on the island with oil or cook until cooked. You can use lard to fry pancakes, the cake will be more crispy and more fragrant. Pay attention when making pancakes, don't let the heat be too high, the crust will be easily scorched, the meat will be tough and not delicious.
How to make dipping sauce:
- Banh xeo dipping sauce is mixed according to the following ratio: you dissolve 3 tablespoons of sugar with ½ cup of fish sauce, ½ cup of warm water, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Add minced garlic and chili to taste.
Making Sour Salad:
- Put the shredded white radish and carrot in a bowl, marinate with 2 tablespoons of sugar, 5 tablespoons of vinegar, 200ml of filtered water, mix well and leave for about 10 minutes to soften the radish and carrot.
Present and Enjoy:
- Pick up the cake on a plate, present the pancakes with salad, green vegetables, herbs, sour food, dip it with sweet and sour fish sauce and enjoy it while it's still hot.
Best Local Places/Restaurants to Eat “Banh Xeo” in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City:
1. Banh Xeo Quang 7B/99:
- Address: 1C/100 Alley 100 Nguyen Tri Phuong, Ward 14, District 10, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hours: 7:30AM – Closes 9:00PM
- Phone: 0393 228 848
2. Banh Xeo Thien Phuoc:
- Address: 15 Thien Phuoc Street, Ward 9, District 11, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hours: 10:00AM – Closes 9:00PM
3. Quan Banh Xeo Ngon:
- Address: 33/43/10 Dat Thanh Street, Ward 6, Tan Binh District, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hours: 9:00AM – Closes 5:00PM
4. Hoang Tam Restaurant:
- Address: 22/1 Nguyen Canh Chan Street, Cau Kho Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hours: 10:00AM – Closes 10:00PM (Open 24 hours at every Saturday)
- Phone: 028 6670 2121
5. Bep Me In:
- Address: 136 Le Thanh Ton Street, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hours: 10:30AM – Closes 10:30PM
- Phone: 028 2211 1119
6. Ngon Restaurant (Quán Ngon):
- Address: 160 Pasteur Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hours: 7:30AM – Closes 10:30PM
- Phone: 028 3827 7131
7. Home kitchen Xu Quang:
- Address: 16 Tran Cao Van Street, Da Kao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hours: 10:00 AM – Closes 10:00PM
- Phone: 028 3827 2709
8. Banh Xeo Nga:
- Address: 251 Nguyen Thien Thuat Street, Ward 1, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hours: 1:00PM – Closes 9:00PM
9. Banh Xeo Ba Hai:
- Address: 49 Nguyen Trong Tuyen Street, Ward 15, Phu Nhuan District, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hours: 2:00PM – Closes 9:00PM
- Phone: 028 6273 9499
10. Banh Xeo Mien Trung:
- Address: 18 Thanh My Street, Ward 8, Tan Binh District, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hours: 2:00PM – Closes 10:00PM
- Phone: 0785 665 078
11. Banh Xeo 46A:
- Address: 46A Dinh Cong Trang S.t, District 1, HO CHI MINH CITY
12. Banh Xeo Muoi Xiem:
- Address 1: 204 Nguyen Trai S.t, District 1, HO CHI MINH CITY
- Address 2: 213 Bis Nam Ky Khoi Nghia S.t, District 1, HO CHI MINH CITY
13. An La Ghien:
- Address 1: 74 Suong Nguyet Anh S.t, District 1, HO CHI MINH CITY
- Address 2: 100 Cao Thang S.t, District 3, HO CHI MINH CITY
14. Banh Xeo Mien Tay:
- Address: 31/6 Hoang Hoa Tham S.t, Tan Binh District, HO CHI MINH CITY
Best of Vietnam
Find your trip
Vietnam Travel Blog
- Vietnamese People: Origin, History, Culture and Traditions
- Vietnam Currency: Best ATM and Places to Exchange Money
- Vietnam Map: Regions, Cities & Provinces Map of Vietnam
- What is illegal Things in Vietnam: Rules & Laws for Tourists
- Best Time to Travel to Vietnam to Avoid the Bad Weather
- Vietnam News: Population & Religions of 54 Ethnic Groups