Saigon Travel Guide
Saigon (Ho Chi Minh city) Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh city was known as Sai Gon for long time from 1698 until 1976. Before the 17th century, this was the land of Khmer People. In 1658, King of Kmer People gave this land to Vietnamese and 40 years later, this started with the name Sai Gon. In 1859, French attached Gia Dinh City – Next to Sai Gon . In 1868, Tu Duc King of the Nguyen Dynasty signed an agreement to recognized French Ruling in the South of Vietnam. During the French time, Sai Gon was known as the Pearl of Orient.
In 1954, Communist Government and French signed Geneve Agreement to have election in 1956 to unify our country. South of Vietnam temporary under Republic of Vietnam’ s control, North Vietnam under Ho Chi Minh’ s control. But Ngo Dinh Diem with the support from USA claimed himself as the First President of South Vietnam and the Vietnam War started and Vietnam was divided into 2 countries. During Vietnam War, Sai Gon City was the Capital of South Vietnam while Hanoi was the Capital of North Vietnam. This war continued until 30th April 1975 when the Communist Gorvernment defeated South Vietnam and Sai Gon stoped being the Capital.
Best of Vietnam
Find your trip
Vietnam Best Tours
Vietnam Travel Blog
- Best Ways to Get from Hue to Hoi An and Vice Versa
- Main Programs and Schedule of Hue Festival 2020
- Hue Sightseeing Ticket Price in 2020
- Tu Lan Caves System - the Unreal World in Central Vietnam
- Mui Ne Beach: Vietnam's Best Sand Dunes in Phan Thiet City
- Ru Cha Mangrove Forest - Discovering pristine beauty of Hue Countryside