Top 10 Weirdest Vietnamese Food
Vietnamese Food has become more and more popular around the world. Food lovers may have tried the best known Vietnamese Dishes – spring rolls (Nem or Cha Gio), Noodle Soup (Pho) and Bread Rolls (Banh My). Rice, noodles, fresh vegetable and herbs all play big roles in Vietnamese Food, making it one of the healthiest cuisines in the world. In Vietnam you’ll discover one unmistakable fact: Vietnamese people love noodles. They eat them every day, sometimes for every meal. Vietnamese noodles are made from a few basic ingredients, the most common being rice, wheat and mung beans, but a whole sub-cuisine is built on these basics.
But with this article, we would like to introduce to you other Vietnamese Dishes. These are the Weirdest Foods in Vietnam and not for everyone:
1. Insect: This kind of insect is easily found in many kinds of tropical fruit tree in Vietnam. To most of Vietnamese People, this is very disgusting with very strong smell. But to Thai Ethnic Group, this kind of insect will become a special local delicacy after being roasted and only prepared on special occasions.
2. Black Pudding: This dish made from frozen fresh blood that does not undergo any sterilization, hygiene, direct contact with peanuts and herbs.Although health experts constantly warn about viruses, bacteria and parasites harmful can cause infections, coma, poisoning ... when eating this dish. But this is still one of the favorite dishes. most in the northern provinces.
3. Egg Embryo: Duck, Quail,… eggs are one of the popular snacks popular in Vietnam and other Asian countries like Vietnam, China, Cambodia, Philippines, but to Western Tourist, this dish is horrible as "horror" dish by which the egg formed enough parts of the the duck. (about 17-21 days old).Duck eggs must be boiled, eat together with broth and leafy leaves or wormwood. Although somewhat frightening but this is the food that provides more protein and is extremely good for health á to local people.
4. Coconut Worm: This is a truly challenging dish even to many Vietnemse People when greasy worms, such as egg yolks, are removed from coconut stalks that are still crawling at the bottom of the bowl. The food is eaten directly, not through any other process.
5. Rat: This rat is not eye catching dish but very popular in the different Asian Countries, special in Vietnam.After rice harvest season is also hunting Rats. Rats after the trap will be littered, cleaned, salted seeds and processed into different dishes such as pan fried, roasted salt, fried chil with lemon leaves ...
6. “Medicine Snake Wine”: "medicinal wine" uses herbs or animals that are soaked in high-alcohol distilled white spirit and are used as a very popular drug in culinary culture of Vietnam.For foreign travelers, they often find it very intimidating because they have soaked all kinds of live animals that have been pre-processed such as snakes, gizzards, geckos ... or even animal organs such as testicular or hands of bear,…
7. Shrimp sauce: Shrimp paste is made mainly from shrimp and salt, using an enzyme in the intestines of shrimp to ferment, creating a distinctive flavor. For Vietnamese people, shrimp sauce is indispensable in many dishes such as: vermicelli, vermicelli, dog meat ...
Foreigners who come to Vietnam will find it very strange and even more strange when they know how to process shrimp sauce. Many people are allergic to the smell of shrimp paste.
8. Dog meat: Dog meat is a favorite dish in Vietnam, especially in the northern provinces. People believe that eating dog meat will have the effect of "solving". According to oriental medicine, dog meat is salty, sour, hot, not toxic; have positive effects, positive support, gas benefits except welding.
Meanwhile, in many Western and Muslim countries, eating dog meat is even banned. And to the West, they not only regard dogs as pets, but also as friends, so when they come to Vietnam they are wondering why Vietnamese people can eat dog meat while still keeping them.
9. Organ Transplants: Often in many countries around the world, they often do not eat animal offal, and only eat meat in the back and abdomen. So when they came to Vietnam they were surprised about the food made from the viscera and other parts of the animal. In Vietnam, all parts of animals: intestines, heart, stomach, brain, oval, leg, nail, tail, head, neck ... can become a dish and do not waste any sets, any part.
However, this is not too difficult to eat. And are increasingly popular international guests and favorite when exploring Vietnamese cuisine.
10. Animal’s Penis: In many Eastern countries, it is a favorite dish and usually deep-fried and cook in Hot Pot. Typically, beef penis is cooked by steaming, fried or eaten raw. In particular, penis cow is like a natural viagra to help you be full, burning in the "sex".
- The List of 10 Best Beaches in Vietnam
- The 10 Best Places to Visit in Vietnam
- Best Vietnamese Food You Should Not Miss
Find your trip
Vietnam Best Tours
Vietnam Travel Blog
- Top 10 Weirdest Vietnamese Food
- Mekong Delta Travel Guide: Best Things to Do & Places to Visit
- Top 10 Hanoi Tourist Attractions
- Cu Chi Tunnels Vietnam Guide: Facts, Length, History with Map
- Things to know for Backpackers before Traveling to Vietnam
- Nguyen Dynasty - Last Royal Family in Vietnam with 13 Kings