Nem Lụi Huế: Hue Grilled Minced Pork on Lemongrass Skewer
Nem Lụi Huế or Hue Grilled Minced Pork on Lemongrass Skewer is one of the most popular dishes in Hue. The ingredients for making Hue Springrolls (Nem Lụi Huế - Hue Grilled Minced Pork on Lemongrass Skewer) are quite simple from pounded pork, thinly sliced skin like vermicelli, diced pork fat, very marinated with salt, pepper, and sugar, depending on each person's taste and then mixed well. After that, people mold this mixture into long shapes a little bigger than a finger, then skewer them into each small bamboo chopsticks and bake on a charcoal stove until cooked. According to Hue dialect, the act of skewering spring rolls into bamboo chopsticks is called lui, that's why this dish is called spring rolls.
In other places, spring rolls are dipped with sweet and sour fish sauce, while Hue people dip them with "leo" sauce. This sauce is viscous, rich in taste, delicious, if you want it spicy, add a little chili. The dipping sauce is the soul of the dish, so it is made quite sophisticatedly, including pureed peanuts, adding fish sauce, pork liver, minced pork and then boiling on the stove until it becomes a paste like soy sauce.
Fresh spring rolls and delicious dipping sauce are not enough, but you have to eat them properly to feel the full taste and essence of the dish. When eating spring rolls, people often eat them with rice paper, herbs, raw vegetables, cucumbers, .... Roll with dipping sauce and enjoy.
Recipe to make Hue spring rolls, you need to prepare:
- 300g raw ham
- 200g lean shoulder meat
- 150g pork liver
- 100g nape fat
- 30 lemongrass plants
- Purple onion
- Minced garlic
- 100g roasted peanuts
- 50g roasted white sesame
- 100ml fresh milk without sugar
- 3 tablespoons of rice flour
- Rice paper rolls with spring rolls
- Raw vegetables: lettuce, herbs, green mango, cucumber, basil, green banana...
- Spices: soup powder, pepper, fish sauce, main noodles, sugar, oyster sauce, cashew oil...
After you have prepared all the necessary ingredients, proceed to make spring rolls according to the specific instructions as follows:
1. How to make spring rolls in Hue:
- Step 1: Lean pork shoulder and neck fat are washed, finely chopped, then finely chopped.
- Step 2: Mix fatty meat and raw pork, season with 1 tablespoon of soup powder, 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of main noodles, minced onion and garlic, 3 tablespoons of cashew oil, 2 spoon of oyster sauce.
- Step 3: Mix all the ingredients and spices until they are soft, then store in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Step 4: Take out the ingredients, wrap them around the lemongrass stem. Pay attention to lightly pounding the head of lemongrass so that the lemongrass flavor penetrates the spring rolls.
- Step 5: Bake spring rolls on charcoal stove. During the baking process, it is necessary to turn them over so that the spring rolls are evenly cooked without drying.
2. How to make Hue spring rolls dipping sauce:
The success of Hue spring rolls depends a lot on the bowl of dipping sauce. You can refer to the recipe of making sauce of Hue people as follows:
- Step 1: Wash the liver, cut into small pieces, soak in fresh milk for 30 minutes to remove the fishy smell.
- Step 2: Rinse the liver with clean water and then boil it in boiling water. Remove the liver, drain the water, cut the pomegranate and chop finely.
- Step 3: Crush peanuts and white sesame.
- Step 4: Put the saucepan on the stove, add 2 tablespoons of chopped onion and garlic, 2 tablespoons of cashew oil until fragrant, then add the liver and stir well. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Step 5: Dissolve the tapioca starch, pour it into the liver pan and cook until it boils. Wait a few more minutes, then add peanuts, white sesame and stir for about 3 minutes, then turn off the heat.
Pour the bowl of dipping sauce into a small bowl, put spring rolls on a plate with raw vegetables, you have a delicious Hue spring rolls in the right way.
Some Local Restaurants with Authentic Local Flavour Hue Springrolls:
1. Hue Tai Phu spring rolls restaurant
- Address: 2 Dien Bien Phu, Hue city
- Reference opening hours: 9:00 – 22:00
2. Hue spring rolls shop Huynh Thuc Khang - Mr. Me Gia
- Address: 25 Dao Duy Tu, Hue city
- Reference opening hours: 17:00 - 21:00
3. Hue spring rolls restaurant Ba Ty
- Address: 81 Dao Duy Tu, Phu Binh, Hue city
- Reference opening hours: 16:00 - 19:00
4. Hue spring rolls restaurant on Nguyen Truong To street
- Address: opposite 35 Nguyen Truong To Street, Hue City
- Reference opening hours: 15:00 – 20:00
5. Hue spring rolls restaurant on Tran Phu street
- Address: 119 Tran Phu Street, Phuoc Vinh, Hue City
- Reference opening hours: 14:00 - 21:00
6. Hue spring rolls shop, Ms. Luyen
- Address: 14/17 Han Mac Tu Street, Vy Da Street, Hue City
- Reference opening hours: 14:00 - 19:00
7. Hue spring rolls shop on Mai Thuc Loan street
- Address: 179 Mai Thuc Loan Street, Hue City
- Reference opening hours: 14:00 - 18:00
8. Hue Phuong spring rolls shop
- Address: 38 Ba Trieu, Hue city
- Reference opening hours: 17:00 - 22:00
9. Hue spring rolls restaurant on Dao Duy Tu street
- Address: No. 85 Dao Duy Tu, Hue city
- Reference opening hours: 9:00 – 22:00
10. Hue spring rolls shop - Quynh Anh grilled meat vermicelli
- Address: 147 Nguyen Vinh, Sia town, Quang Dien district
- Reference opening hours: 13:00 - 23:00
Find your trip
Vietnam Best Tours
Vietnam Car Rental
Vietnam Travel Blog
- Vietnamese Balut or Egg Embryo: Things You Need to Know
- Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi - Vietnam Travel Guide
- Tan Son Nhat International Airport - Ho Chi Minh City Guide
- Liberation Day & National Day: Public Holidays in Vietnam
- Vietnamese Zodiac & Elements: The Signs of 12 Animals
- Halong Bay - Choose 1 Day Trip or Overnight Cruise?