Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street: Nightlife Activities in Hanoi
Hoan Kiem Lake Night Market and Walking Street is one of the most vibrant and bustling places to visit in Hanoi for Nightlife Activities. Every weekend, it comes alive with a wide range of entertainment options, music performances, and delicious local street food. The streets around Hoan Kiem Lake will be closed off to vehicles every weekend, allowing visitors to stroll around and experience the energy and excitement here.
- Location: Streets around Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi City
- Opening hours: 7 PM on Friday to Midnight of Sunday
1. Where is Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street?
Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street is a very popular and famous destination in Hanoi, known for its bustling atmosphere and diverse exciting nightlife activities. Stretching around Hoan Kiem Lake, the cluster of these streets: Dinh Le, Nguyen Xi, Trang Tien, Dinh Tien Hoang, Hang Khay, Le Thai To, Le Lai, Le Thach, Tran Nguyen Han, Lo Su, Hang Dau, Ho Hoan Kiem, Bao Khanh, Hang Bai, Luong Van Can will be transformed into a pedestrian zone on the weekends.
How to Get to Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street? As it is located in the center of Hanoi capital city, visitors can easily get to Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street by various means of transportation. It is strongly recommended to reach here by bus or motorbike for a more convenient trip.
- By motorbike: Take the route Cau Giay - Kim Ma - Nguyen Thai Hoc - Hang Bong streets and you will find the bustling pedestrian zone around Hoan Kiem Lake. Here, park your vehicle and take a stroll around.
- By public bus: There are several bus routes with different bus stops near the Hoan Kiem Lake walking street Hanoi: 09, 14, 36, 03, 11, 14, 22, 18, 34, 40, 31.
2. What Activities to do at Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street?
Hanoi walking streets are famous for a variety of exciting and unique activities. Here are some must-do activities that visitors can enjoy while strolling around Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street:
2.1. Enjoying Vietnamese folk games
One of the most interesting things to do in Hanoi is play traditional folk games at Hoan Kiem Walking Street. This is a great way to connect with the local community.
Wandering along the street, you will find many popular games that attract young local people to join in and have fun, such as O An Quan (a game where players try to capture their opponent’s pieces), rope jumping, tug-of-war, and shuttlecock kicking.
2.2. Enjoying street performances
Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street is a popular place for not only traditional games but also street performances. On weekends, there are many talented musicians, dancers, and even magicians showing their skills and entertaining the crowds here. The performances are diverse, ranging from classical Vietnamese music to modern pop songs and dances.
2.3. Have your portrait drawn by a street artists
Many talented street artists can be found sitting along the sidewalks around Hoan Kiem Lake. They utilize many art mediums, such as charcoal or watercolors, to create beautiful and realistic portraits. Getting your portrait drawn is a great way to capture the special moment of your trip to Hanoi. The portrait is created just for you, and it is also a chance to interact with the local artists and learn more about their craft.
2.4. Explore famous tourist spots nearby:
Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street is next to Hang Gang Hang Dao Night Market, and surrounded by several other tourist attractions that are definitely worth your visit. Here are some recommended destinations nearby that you may be interested in:
- St. Joseph’s Cathedral is one of the most iconic landmarks in Hanoi, with stunning neo-gothic architecture and impressive stained glass windows. Its peaceful atmosphere and beautiful interior make it the perfect place to escape the bustle of the city.
- Hanoi Old Quarter is a bustling destination to enjoy the nightlife in Hanoi. The street is home to many bars and restaurants serving beer and mouth-watering street food. Visitors can immerse in the vibrant atmosphere here, as it is usually crowded with both locals and tourists.
- Ngoc Son Temple is one of the most iconic and visited temples in Hanoi, sitting on a small islet on Hoan Kiem Lake. After crossing a red wooden bridge to reach the temple called The Huc Bridge, you will be amazed by the lush greenery and ancient artifacts here.
Besides the walking street in Hanoi Vietnam and these destinations, do not miss out on other fascinating attractions such as Dong Xuan Market, Bach Ma Temple, etc to fully immerse yourself in Vietnam’s rich culture.
3. What Food to eat in Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street?
- Hoan Kiem Lake Walking Street is home to many local street food vendors and restaurants offering a variety of delicious Vietnamese dishes. Here are some of the must-try foods when you travel to the area:
- Trang Tien ice cream and sweet soup is a famous dessert to try after a long day exploring the city. You can find different flavors of Vietnamese traditional sweet soup and ice cream on Trang Tien Street.
- Iced tea and sunflower seeds: Drinking iced tea (or tra da in Vietnamese) seems to be a “tradition” in Hanoi. So, seat yourself on a little stool on the sidewalk and order a cool glass of iced tea and a tray of sunflower seeds like a Hanoian.
- Vietnamese fruit beams are the most popular cooling food on hot summer days. You can take a quick stroll to To Tich Street to try this famous food at the famous Hoa Beo shop.
- Vietnamese Cafe: Don't forget to try egg coffee (or ca phe trung) - a special drink made with egg yolks, condensed milk, sugar, and Vietnamese coffee.
Find your trip
Vietnam Best Tours
Vietnam Car Rental
Vietnam Travel Blog
- Vietnamese Balut or Egg Embryo: Things You Need to Know
- Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi - Vietnam Travel Guide
- Tan Son Nhat International Airport - Ho Chi Minh City Guide
- Liberation Day & National Day: Public Holidays in Vietnam
- Vietnamese Zodiac & Elements: The Signs of 12 Animals
- Halong Bay - Choose 1 Day Trip or Overnight Cruise?