Bún Bò Huế: Recipe of Noodle Soup with Beef in Hue
Bún Bò Huế - (Translation: Hue Noodle Soup with Beef): Bun Bo Hue (Pronounce: Boon Bor Hwei) originated in the beautiful ancient city of Hue in Central Vietnam famous for its Royal Cuisine, and is known as one of the 50 most delicious dishes in the world. Like the more famous Vietnamese Pho Bo, it is a beef noodle dish but is distinctly different due to its history and origins. It is a noodle soup with a rich spicy broth, it contains slices of beef or pork and is topped with leaves and herbs as so many Vietnamese Dishes are. It is a meal full of flavours and textural contrasts. Geographical origins and climate invariably affect flavour and ingredients found in classic Vietnamese dishes but pho bo, unlike bun bo Hue, has a French influence.
To get a delicious bowl of authentic beef noodle soup of Hue, it takes a lot of ingredients, seemingly sophisticated but very easy to make. Let's go to the kitchen with ADVENTURE JOURNEY according to the recipe below!
Ingredients for Hue Beef Noodle Soup (For 4 people):
- Pork leg 1 kg
- Braised beef 500 gr
- Round Rice noodle 200 gr
- Beef or pork blood 1 bowl (optional)
- Crab or beef patties 200 gr (optional)
- Cashew color oil 3 tbsp
- Lemongrass 7 plants
- Onion 2
- Garlic 1 bulb
- Ginger 1 stick
- Fish sauce 2 tbsp
- Green onion 1 little
- Bean sprouts 1 little
- Chinese flavor/basil 1 little
- Banana flower 1 little
- Lemon 1 fruit
How to choose Fresh Beef for Noodle Soup:
- To choose good beef, you should observe the color of the meat. Fresh meat is usually bright red, not dark red, and beef fat is light yellow.
- Should choose to buy small and soft pieces of meat, smooth texture and good elasticity when pressed.
- Do not buy pieces of meat that have white, small and easily removable cysts, it is most likely a fluke. You also limit the small pieces of pre-cut meat, because they are very likely to contain flukes.
How to Cook the Real Athentic Bun Bo Hue:
1. Preliminary processing of pork leg, encrusted beef
- If you like a lot of meat, choose the hind leg, if you like the skin and tendons, choose the front leg, cut it into circles, and wash it.
- Boil pork leg in boiling water to remove dirt, then rinse with clean water.
- Beef jerky, washed, boiled separately with 1/2 sliced ginger for fragrant. Simmer on low heat for about 2 hours, use chopsticks to skewer the encrusted pieces, if the skewers pass, they are satisfactory. Wait for the meat to cool and cut into thin slices.
2. Prepare other ingredients:
- Cow or pig blood can be bought ready-made or bought boiled, cut into bite-sized pieces. (Note to buy blood at reputable addresses to ensure food safety). If you don't eat blood, you can skip it.
- The crab cakes are molded into small round balls and dropped into the pot of encrusted boiling water, the spring rolls are cooked, you take them out and keep them separate. Crab rolls can be replaced with beef rolls, spring rolls or not for spring rolls.
- With 4 chopped lemongrass, the rest is cut and smashed. Divide the onion into 2 parts, one half cut in half, the other thinly sliced.
- Scallions, scallions, basil washed and finely chopped. The accompanying vegetables are washed and drained.
3. How to Cook Bún Bò Huế?
- Mix 2 tablespoons of fish sauce with 100 ml of cold water.
- Fry 4 minced lemongrass plants with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, remove the lemongrass, and add 3 tablespoons of cashew oil. Finely chop 1 onion, 1 garlic and 2 chili peppers and then put them in the pan to fry until golden, then turn off the heat.
- Pre-processed pork leg, you put it on the stove to simmer on low heat with 1 onion cut in half and 3 lemongrass trees smashed for a sweet and fragrant broth, all the substance in the bone. (Note that occasionally skim the pot of broth so that the water is clear).
- Take the top part of fish sauce into the pot, remove the residue. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of seasoning, 1 tablespoon of salt, season to taste.
- Add the cup of chili satay made above.
4, Mission Completed:
- You pour vermicelli through boiling water, drain and pour into a bowl.
- Add encrusted meat, pork leg, crab cakes, blood, Chinese flavor, finely chopped scallions, a little thinly sliced onion and then pour the broth.
- Hue beef vermicelli served with bean sprouts, banana flower, basil, and chili is delicious.
Some Best Local Places/Restaurants to Try Authentic Bún Bò in Huế City:
1. Bún Bò Huế Mỹ Tâm:
- Address: No. 5 Tran Cao Van, Vinh Ninh, Hue City
- Price: 25,000 – 40,000 VND
2. Bún Bò O Hòa:
- Address: 65 Mai Thuc Loan, Phu Hau, Hue City
- Price: 25,000 - 35,000 VND/bowl
3. Bún bò Huế Bà Gái:
- Address: No. 11A Hanoi, Vinh Ninh, Hue City
- Price: From 20,000 - 50,000 VND/bowl
4. Bún Huế Hẻm:
- Address: No. 17 Hung Vuong, Phu Hoi, Hue City
- Price: From 35,000 VND/bowl
5. Quán bún O Ty:
- Address: No. 33/9/15 alley 33 Nguyen Cong Tru, Hue City
- Price: 25,000 - 30,000 VND/bowl
6. Bun Bo Hue Bà Tuyêt:
- Address: No 47 Nguyen Cong Tru, Hue City, Vietnam
- Price: 30,000 - 40,000 VND/Bowl
7. Quán Cẩm Bún Bò Huế:
- Address: No 45 Le Loi, Hue City, Vietnam
- Price: 30,000 - 50,000 VND/Bowl
8. Đặc sản số 1 chính gốc Bún bò Huế:
- Address: No 19 Ly Thuong Kiet, Hue City, Vietnam
- Price: 35,000 - 50,000 VND/Bowl
Some Best Local Places/Restaurants to Try Authentic Bun Bo Hue in Hanoi:
1. Bún Bò Huế:
- Address: 36 P. Hàng Cá, Hàng Bồ, Hoàn Kiếm, Hanoi Old Quarter, Vietnam
- Phone: 0355 878 312
2. Bún Bò Huế Ô Tôn:
- Address: 34 P. Nguyễn Hữu Huân, Lý Thái Tổ, Hoàn Kiếm, Hanoi French Quarter
- Phone: 091 731 88 88
3. Bún Bò Huế Thu Thùy:
- Address: 18 Đại Cồ Việt, Lê Đại Hành, Hai Bà Trưng, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Phone: 098 697 35 78
4. Quan – Bun Bo Hue:
- Address: 167 Đ. Nguyễn Ngọc Vũ, Trung Hoà, Cầu Giấy, Hà Nội
- Phone: 097 720 41 25
Some Best Local Places to Try Authentic Bun Bo Hue in Saigon
1. BÚN BÒ HUẾ ĐÔNG BA:
- Address: 207B Nguyễn Văn Thủ, Đa Kao, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Phone: 028 3823 9672
2. Bún Bò Huế O Cúc:
- Address: 33 Huỳnh Khương Ninh, Đa Kao, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Phone: 097 269 00 86
3. Bún bò Huế - O Sửu:
- Address: 72 Đ. Trần Quốc Toản, Phường 8, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
- Phone: 090 953 34 98
4. Bún Bò Huế Kim Hương:
- Address: 174 Nguyễn Xí, Phường 26, Bình Thạnh, Ho Chi Minh City
5. Bún bò Huế - Gia Hội:
- Address: 14 Đường Số 2, Phường 15, District 11, Ho Chi Minh City
- Phone: 093 335 13 50
6. Bun Bo Hue Huong Giang:
- Address: 325 Võ Văn Tần, Phường 5, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
- Phone: 090 234 08 99
7. Bún Bò Huế Mỡ Nổi Cô Như:
- Address: 274/29 Võ Văn Tần, Phường 5, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
- Phone: 093 793 78 18
8. Bún Bò Huế Hạnh:
- Address: 135 Bành Văn Trân, Phường 7, Tân Bình, Ho Chi Minh City
- Phone: 028 3865 4842
9. Bún Bò Huế 725 Hoàng Sa
- Address: 725 Đ. Hoàng Sa, Phường 14, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
Best of Vietnam
Find your trip
Vietnam Travel Blog
- Vietnamese People: Origin, History, Culture and Traditions
- Vietnam Currency: Best ATM and Places to Exchange Money
- Vietnam Map: Regions, Cities & Provinces Map of Vietnam
- What is illegal Things in Vietnam: Rules & Laws for Tourists
- Best Time to Travel to Vietnam to Avoid the Bad Weather
- Vietnam News: Population & Religions of 54 Ethnic Groups