Monkey Mountain (Bán Đảo Sơn Trà): Best Tourist Spot in Danang
Where is Monkey Mountain located in Danang Vietnam?
Monkey Mountain (Son Tra peninsula) is located about 10 km northeast of Da Nang city center. Son Tra has an area of 60 square kilometers (23 square miles), a length of 13 kilometers (8.1 mi), a width of 5 kilometers (3.1 mi), the narrowest of 2 kilometers (1.2 mi). Son Tra peninsula with Hai Van pass surrounds Danang city and Danang bay.
One of the top impressive and attractive tourist destinations in Da Nang, Son Tra peninsula is not only a diverse nature reserve but also focuses on many unexpected destinations. Linh Ung Pagoda, Ban Co peak, thousand-year Banyan Tree, Bai Da, Bai But, etc. create a Son Tra with an irresistible attraction. Visitors to Da Nang, all love to visit Son Tra even once.
Talking about the name Monkey Mountain in particular, it is also a privilege that nature bestows on the "green lung of Da Nang". Not only possessing unique vegetation, the fauna on Son Tra is also extremely rich and diverse. Typically, it is the golden monkey. Its scientific name is Macaca mulatta, classified as endangered and rare forest animals in group IIB.
Unlike the shy brown-shanked douc langur, the yellow monkey on Son Tra peninsula is quite brave. In the past few years, they appeared quite a lot in the area behind Linh Ung Pagoda, even spilling onto the street to feed. This is what makes it interesting, many tourists are curious to see and learn about the life of monkeys here. Now, on the way to visit Son Tra, you will see many unique stone monkey statues, as if to show this is the land of monkeys.
What is the Best Time to visit Monkey Mountain in Da Nang?
The best time to visit Son Tra peninsula is from March to September because at this time, the climate here is very cool, airy, the road is also easier to travel, convenient for sightseeing activities and entertainment. Currently, Danang has Thuan Phuoc bridge to easily move to visit the Son Tra peninsula so traveling is no longer a concern for tourists.
What is the Best Things to Do and See in Monkey Mountain?
- Linh Ung Pagoda (Click to See >>>): Linh Ung Pagoda is the largest temple in Da Nang today, built in combination with modern and traditional architecture. The temple was built on the middle of the mountain like a tortoise shell and leaned against the mountains, facing the sea.
The two right-hand sides are Cu Lao Cham Island and Hai Van Pass. Linh Ung Pagoda is home to the largest statue of Guan Yin (Lady Buddha) in the country. Every month on the 1st and 15th of the lunar calendar opens the door for people to come to offer incense. Located in a harmonious position between the Earth and the Sky, Linh Ung Pagoda is considered as a noble faith of man and is the only spiritual destination in Son Tra peninsula today.
- Chess Board Peak (Đỉnh Bàn Cờ): Son Tra peak is called Chess Board Peak, one of the destinations that everyone is interested in. The road to the top of the mountain is twisted and winding, challenging, but beautiful and worth a visit with Hike Tours.
- Giant Banyan Tree: Located in the relic population of Son Tra peninsula, the giant tree has appeared for a long time without any scientist to confirm its true age.
Banyan tree flourishes with a large trunk with a circumference of up to 10m, around there are more than 20 other groomsmen, each root up to 25m symbolizes a strong will.
- Many Beautiful Beaches:
1. Black Rock Beach (Bãi Đá Đen): The black stone beach is one of the quite beautiful beaches in Son Tra with black stones intermingled to create beautiful gaps.
Thanks to the shielding of the rocks, the sea water is clear and the waves soothing, you can come here to immerse yourself in the cool water, participate in fishing activities or snorkeling.
2. Tien Sa Beach: Tien Sa Beach is a relatively pristine and quiet beach, suitable for resort activities and events on the sea. This place is associated with the legend of the fairy and is the inspiration in poetry. Coming here, you can take a walk along the smooth white sand, settle for fairy tales and immerse yourself in the fresh nature.
3. Bai Nam Beach: Bai Nam is the most beautiful beach of Son Tra peninsula, there is also a famous 4-star resort. South Beach is home to a high diversity of marine life with beautiful coral reefs. If you come here without trying the scuba diving game is indeed a very unfortunate thing.
4. Bai But Beach: Hidden in the strait, Bai beach is the most peaceful and has the most entertainment activities with windsurfing, skydiving, scuba diving ... Not only famous for its beauty, but this place is also considered Buddha realms of human world.
In addition to the places mentioned above, Son Tra peninsula is still new for you to visit, such as Golden Sand, Lighthouse, Rada airport and Rada radio, Vong Canh house, Vooc rub patch ... very attractive.
How to Get to Monkey Mountain (Son Tra Peninsula) in Da Nang?
If you stay in Hue or Hoi An, and would like to visit Monkey Mountain, then take a private car or motorbike with driver to visit Monkey Mountain, as those will be the best and safest ways to travel. Also you can have free-mind to enjoy magnificant scenery on the travel way.
See Related Articles:
Best of Vietnam
Find your trip
Vietnam Travel Blog
- Vietnamese People: Origin, History, Culture and Traditions
- Vietnam Currency: Best ATM and Places to Exchange Money
- Vietnam Map: Regions, Cities & Provinces Map of Vietnam
- Best Time to Travel to Vietnam to Avoid the Bad Weather
- What is illegal Things in Vietnam: Rules & Laws for Tourists
- Best Local Food That Should Not Be Missed in Hanoi Vietnam