Danang International Airport: Everything You Need to Know
Da Nang International Airport is the biggest airport in Central Vietnam and is the third biggest in Vietnam (after Tan Son Nhat International Airport in Ho Chi Minh City and Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi), located in Hai Chau district, 3 km from the center of Danang city, with a total flight area is 842 ha, of which the civil aviation area is 150 ha. This is an important flight point of Central Vietnam and the country.
- Location: Hoa Thuan Tay Ward, Hai Chau District, Danang City, Vietnam
Da Nang International Airport Code:
- IATA (International Air Transport Association) code: DAD
- ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) code: VVDN
The official transaction name is Da Nang International Airport (Vietnamese: Sân Bay Quốc Tế Đà Nẵng - DIA). This airport was formerly operated by the Central Airport Corporation, now under the Airports Corporation of Vietnam, an enterprise under the Ministry of Transport.
The volume of passengers in 2019 at this airport was 15.5 million passengers, making it the third airport with the third highest number of passengers in Vietnam after Tan Son Nhat International Airport (Ho Chi Minh City) and Noi Bai International Airport (Hanoi City).
History of Danang International Airport: The airport was built in 1940. During the Vietnam War, from 1954 to 1975, Da Nang airport was an airbase of the US Army and the Republic of Vietnam Air Force. Before 1975, Da Nang International Airport was one of the busiest airports in the world.
Currently, there are 5 domestic airlines and 38 international airlines having routes to Da Nang International Airport, the third most in the country. From Da Nang, there are 16 domestic routes, 51 international routes, including 25 regular direct flights and 26 direct charter flights, with more than 250 domestic and international flights per day, helping convenient connection with major transit stations of Asia and the world such as Incheon-Korea, Narita-Japan, Changi-Singapore, Doha-Qatar, Daxing-China, New Delhi-India...
In 2015, Da Nang International Airport was ranked 23rd in the Top 30 Best Airports in Asia, according to information published on the website specializing in ranking airports in the world The Guide to Sleeping in Airports . In 2019, Da Nang International Airport was evaluated and ranked by the global airport and airport organization - SKYTRAX rated 3-star standard +, T2 International terminal reached 4-star standard.
Da Nang International Airport currently has two runways for take-off and landing (3,500m and 3,048m), equipped with signal lights on taxiway, runway, appron (parking lot),..., auxiliary systems. precision navigation and landing (ILS, VOR/DME, NDB), modern primary and secondary radar systems, advanced meteorological monitoring and broadcasting systems, permanent emergency systems , modern parking systems... are capable of serving large commercial aircraft such as Boeing 747, Boeing 777, Airbus A340, Airbus A330, Airbus A380, Antonov 124... in all weather conditions.
Passenger Flights and Terminals:
- Domestic Flights Terminal:
The domestic passenger terminal (Terminal T1) of Da Nang International Airport, invested by Central Airport Corporation, was started construction on December 24, 2007 with a total capital of more than VND 1,345 billion and Officially put into operation on December 15, 2011. The station was built on an area of nearly 14,500 m2, including three floors and a basement with a total usable area of 36,600 m2. The area of each functional area is qualified to serve 6 million passengers/year (standards as prescribed by the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
After the Central region, earthquake load level 7. In addition, there are also special equipment such as baggage handling system, 5 air-guided telescopic tubes, 6 escalators with a speed of 0.5 m/s, 11 elevator with capacity 1,000 - 2,000 kg, specialized aviation electronic systems and auxiliary systems such as lighting, water supply and drainage, air conditioning, solar power plant system..With 40 counters With procedures and other modern facilities, the domestic terminal is guaranteed to serve from 6 to 8 million passengers per year from 2015. Airports Corporation of Vietnam (ACV) has a research plan. expanding the domestic terminal to reach 15 million passengers/year by 2020.
- International Flights Terminal:
The international passenger terminal (terminal T2) is invested by Da Nang International Terminal Investment and Operation Joint Stock Company (AHT), started construction on November 15, 2015 with a total value of 3,504 billion VND. The project was completed and officially put into operation in May 2017, a record of construction within 18 months. The international terminal is built on a land area of 210,000 m2, the construction floor area is 48,000m2, is designed into 2 separate departure and arrival elevations, has 52 airline check-in counters, 20 exit counters, 22 immigration counters, 10 boarding gates, 04 passenger bridges... Terminal T2 is currently serving 51 international routes to and from Da Nang city with hundreds of flights per day, with a capacity from 4 to 6 million visitors/year according to the Development Plan until 2020 and orientation to 2030.
- VIP Station and Lunge:
VIP terminal is used to welcome heads of state when visiting Da Nang city. This is also the terminal serving the special aircraft of the heads of state of 21 member economies of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC), Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar to participate in the Summit. informal relationship between APEC-ASEAN and the APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting during the APEC Vietnam Summit Week 2017 (AELW) in Da Nang City, Vietnam.
- Danang Cargo Terminal:
The cargo terminal has a total area of 2,400 m2, of which the area of the station is 1,600 m2, the yard area of 800m2 can simultaneously receive 5 vehicles with a load of 9 tons approaching the station, arranged in 2 zones. The incoming cargo area is separate, in which the outgoing cargo area is equipped with 2 screening lines for outgoing goods. The building is equipped with automatic fire alarm and fire fighting system, against direct lightning strikes. The cargo capacity through the station reaches 100,000 tons/year.
The cargo terminal not only meets the increasing demand for freight transportation in the coming time, serving the needs of customers well, but also contributes to enhancing the airport's position.
Transportation in Danang Airport:
- Grab and Taxi: Taxis from several companies are available on the arrivals level. Confirm a fixed or metered rate with a taxi representative. Mai Linh taxi is a reputable company serving Da Nang International Airport. Book transfers to and from Da Nang International Airport (DAD), taxis, vans, and executive cars through our search engine, it’s easy and fast to use!
- Local Public Bus: Bus 1 from Da Nang to Hoi An is a local bus also known as the Yellow Bus. The bus caters mostly to local commuters but also gets its fair share of budget-conscious travellers. Tourists can also use it to get to the Marble Mountains, located between Da Nang and Hoi An. There are many other options available to tourists travelling from Da Nang to Hoi An, ranging from tourist buses to private cars but understandably, the prices will be higher than Bus 1.
- Danang Car Hire: The most convenient and comfortable war to travel to/from Danang Airport is to hire a private car with driver. This is the closest airport to Hoi An, and Adventure Journey offer the best affordable Car Rental in Da Nang for sightseeing tours and transport service in Da Nang, Hoi An and Central Vietnam with best price guarantee.
Best of Vietnam
Find your trip
Vietnam Travel Blog
- Vietnamese People: Origin, History, Culture and Traditions
- Vietnam Currency: Best ATM and Places to Exchange Money
- Vietnam Map: Regions, Cities & Provinces Map of Vietnam
- What is illegal Things in Vietnam: Rules & Laws for Tourists
- Best Time to Travel to Vietnam to Avoid the Bad Weather
- Vietnam News: Population & Religions of 54 Ethnic Groups