Quang Tri Ancient Citadel: Best Tourist Attractions in DMZ Vietnam
History of Quang Tri Ruined Ancient Citadel: According to documents, at the beginning of Gia Long period, Quang Tri Citadel was built in Tien Kien ward (Trieu Thanh - Trieu Phong). Initially it was made of earth, in 1837 Minh Mang king rebuilt it with bricks. The citadel has a square shape, the circumference of the walls is more than 2,000 m, 4 m high, 12 m thick, surrounded by a trench system, four corners of the four fortresses jutting out.
- Location: Nguyen Tri Phuong Street, Ward 2, Quang Tri Town, Quang Tri Province
- Opening Hours: From 7.00AM to 5.00PM Every Day.
- Entrance Ticket: Free of Charge
The citadel was built in the style of Vietnam stronghold with square walls surrounded by large bricks; Adhesive by lime, molasses and some other traditonal Vietnamese additives. There are four main gates in the east, west, south and north to access to the Ruined Citadel.
In the years 1809-1945, the Nguyen Dynasty took it as a military stronghold and administrative headquarters. Since 1929, French has built a prison here and turned it into a place to detain those who have opposite political views to the French colonialists.
There were major battle here during the Vietnam War in 1968 and 1972. After the citadel campaign - "1972 Spring - Summer campaign", the whole Citadel was almost flattened; only one door of the East was left in its original shape and several sections of city walls and outer ditches were covered with trenches.
In the 90s of the 20th century, the People's Committee of Quang Tri rebuilt the city to make a monument. A few sections of the wall were restored, the four main gates were rebuilt, in the center of the city was built a memorial marking 81 days and nights in 1972. The southwest corner erected a Modern house as a museum.
All roads leading to the ruins and the interior of the Old Citadel are covered with cement, except for grass. The Citadel is considered by the people in the area as "Spiritual Land" because here any inch of land has bombs and blood and bones of soldiers on both sides. Currently is the largest park in Quang Tri Town.
How to Get to Quang Tri Ancient Citadel?
From Dong Ha City, visitors move to National Highway 9B, follow Highway 9B for about 2km, then turn right on National Highway 1A, go straight on National Highway 1A for about 8.8km, then turn to Nguyen Tri Phuong Street and move another 2km you will see the Ruined Citadel.
- Best Things to Do in Hue Imperial City of Vietnam
- Best Hue Local Street Food You Should Not Miss
- Travel Guide for Visiting Vinh Moc Tunnel & DMZ
Find your trip
Vietnam Best Tours
Vietnam Car Rental
Vietnam Travel Blog
- Top 10 Weirdest Vietnamese Food
- Mekong Delta Travel Guide: Best Things to Do & Places to Visit
- Top 10 Hanoi Tourist Attractions
- Cu Chi Tunnels Vietnam Guide: Facts, Length, History with Map
- Things to know for Backpackers before Traveling to Vietnam
- Nguyen Dynasty - Last Royal Family in Vietnam with 13 Kings