Ho Chi Minh City Hall
Ho Chi Minh city was known as Sai Gon for long time from 1698 until 1976. Before the 17th century, this was the land of Khmer People. In 1658, King of Kmer People gave this land to Vietnamese and 40 years later, this started with the name Sai Gon. In 1859, French attached Gia Dinh City – Next to Sai Gon . In 1868, Tu Duc King of the Nguyen Dynasty signed an agreement to recognized French Ruling in the South of Vietnam. During the French time, Sai Gon was known as the Pearl of Orient.
In 1954, Communist Government and French signed Geneve Agreement to have election in 1956 to unify our country. South of Vietnam temporary under Republic of Vietnam’ s control, North Vietnam under Ho Chi Minh’ s control. But Ngo Dinh Diem with the support from USA claimed himself as the President of South Vietnam and the Vietnam War started and Vietnam was divided into 2 countries. During Vietnam War, Sai Gon was the Capital of South Vietnam while Hanoi was the Capital of North Vietnam. This war continued until 30th April 1975 when the Communist Gorvernment defeated South Vietnam and Sai Gon stoped being the Capital.
On 2nd July 1976, Communist Gorvernment decided to name this Ho Chi Minh City as a commemoration to President Ho Chi Minh.
With the population of 9 million, Ho Chi Minh City is the biggest City in Vietnam. This is also the center for Economy, Polity and Culture for the whole Country.
Things to do in Ho Chi Minh City:
notre dame cathedral
- War Remnants Museum: This was first named American War Crime Museum from 1975 after the Vietnam War finished. But then the name changed into War Remnant Museum from 1995. This museum with a lot of documents about Vietnam War and nowadays this become the Must-See Place in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Reunification Palace: was known as Independence Palace during the Vietnam War. This was built on the site of the former Norodom Palace designed by architect Ngo Viet Thu and was the home and workplace of the President of South Vietnam during the Vietnam War. On 8 April 1975, Nguyễn Thanh Trung, a pilot of the Vietnam Air Force and an undetected communist spy, flew an F-5E aircraft from Biên Hòa Air Base to bomb the palace, but caused no significant damage. At 10:45 on 30 April 1975, a tank of the North Vietnamese Army bulldozed through the main gate, ending the Vietnam War. In November 1975, after the negotiation convention between the communist North Vietnam and their colleagues in South Vietnam was completed, the Provisional Revolutionary Government renamed the palace Reunification Hall.
- General Post Office:
- notre dame cathedral:
- Cu Chi Tunnels:
- Mekong Delta: